New school HR director to help fill many vacancies
Wednesday, April 6, 2011 12:24 PM
By CANDY BROOKS
ThisWeek Community Newspapers
Just in time for a looming hiring frenzy, the Worthington schools have hired a director of human resources.
On May 2, Randy Banks will take over the position vacated several months ago when Jeanne Paliotto resigned to take a job with the Ohio Department of Education.
Banks is personnel director for certified staff at South-Western City Schools. He lives in Worthington. His salary in Worthington will be $110,743, in addition to the usual benefits and a $2,790 annual tax-shelter annuity.
Banks will begin his job on the run. The positions of three top central administrators, a high school principal, two middle school principals and two elementary school principals must be filled in the next weeks.
The jobs to be filled are as follows:
• Superintendent Melissa Conrath, who will retire next fall.
• Assistant superintendent Mark Glasbrenner, who will retire at the end of the school year.
• Student-services director Jim McElligott, who will retire at the end of the school year.
• Worthington Kilbourne High School principal Ed Dunaway, who will retire at the end of the school year.
• Worthingway Middle School principal Santha Stall, who will retire at the end of the school year.
• Kilbourne Middle School principal Pam VanHorn, who retired in January.
• Worthington Estates co-principals Jennifer Williams and Karen Groff, who will retire at the end of the school year.
Trent Bowers has been filling in as personnel director since Paliotto left. After Banks takes over, Bowers will return to working with Glasbrenner. Bowers is being groomed to take over the assistant superintendent position.
Jock Harris, a retired principal from Columbus City Schools, is interim principal at Kilbourne Middle School but will leave at the end of the year.
Banks has a bachelor-of-arts degree in education from Mount Vernon Nazarene University and a master-of-arts in education from Ohio State University. He became a teacher at Gahanna Middle School South in 1994, moved to Groveport High School for a year and then returned to the Gahanna school for 1996-98.
From 1998 to 2000, he was assistant principal at Norton Middle School in the South-Western district and then was principal of Brookpark Middle School in the same district from 2000 to 2004.
He was personnel director for support services at South-Western from 2004 to 2007, when he took over his current position.